ECF - European Cyclists' Federation
European Cyclists’ Federation (ECF)
The European Cyclists’ Federation is a Brussels-based independent non-profit association dedicated to achieving more and better cycling for all in Europe. ECF is pledged to ensure that bicycle use achieves its fullest potential so as to bring about sustainable mobility and public well-being. To achieve these aims, ECF seeks to change attitudes, policies and budget allocations at the European level. ECF stimulates and organises the exchange of information and expertise on bicycle related transport policies and strategies as well as the work of the cyclists’ movement.
ECF owns the trademark for EuroVelo and coordinates its development at the European level.
National EuroVelo Coordination Centres and Coordinators (NECC/Cs)
At a national level, the organisation, development and operation of the routes is undertaken by National EuroVelo Coordination Centres and Coordinators (NECC/Cs). The composition of these organisations varies but often include government bodies, tourism organisations, relevant NGOs, public transport companies and service providers. ECF is working to ensure that there is a Coordination Centre or Coordinator established in every country in Europe.
ECF was founded in 1983 by 12 bicycle user associations. It now has more than 60 member organisations representing over half a million individual European citizens in in over 40 countries. ECF's approach and activities:
- evidence-based advocacy, coalitions and campaigns
- innovative research and thought-leadership projects and initiatives
- provision of tools, resources and trainings for our members, networks and other stakeholders
- developing and managing EuroVelo, the pan-European cycle route network
- organising, attending and promoting events such as ECF’s annual flagship Velo-city summit, the leading international planning conference on cycling, and the biannual EuroVelo and Cycling Tourism conference, the premier event of its kind in Europe.
The ECF 2030 Strategy includes:
- more cycling
- safer cycling
- stronger political support
- higher investment.
In line with this mission, the aim of the ECF EuroVelo project is to promote and coordinate the creation and operation of a complete European cycle route network, the EuroVelo network, crossing and uniting the whole European continent. This is the truly sustainable Trans-European Transport Network.
For further information about ECF please visit the website.